Khamis, 10 Julai 2008

Sagna keen to avoid Ade 'loss'

Arsenal right-back Bacary Sagna has admitted it would be a 'big loss' if striker Emmanuel Adebayor was to leave Emirates Stadium.

Adebayor has attracted the interest of Barcelona and Milan after netting an impressive 30 goals for Arsenal last season.

Manager Arsene Wenger has stood firm over the Togo international's future, despite Adebayor conceding that he is uncertain as to where he will play next term.

Alexander Hleb, meanwhile, is expected to secure a switch away from North London in the coming days after Barca reportedly agreed a fee with The Gunners.

Sagna, who signed for Arsenal from Auxerre last summer, believes the speculation surrounding his team-mates' future is 'part of football', but is hopeful that Adebayor will remain at the club.

"The uncertainty around Alex Hleb and Emmanuel Adebayor's futures is all part of football," the 25-year-old told L'Equipe. "Mathieu Flamini has left, and he was an important part of our midfield."

Not worried

"It is a shame, but I am not too worried. Samir Nasri is due to join us soon, and there are also a lot of young players knocking on the door - it could be a good opportunity to give them their chance.

"If Emmanuel was to go, it would be a big loss, even though we are not yet at that stage."
Sagna recently penned a new contract at Arsenal, committing his future until 2014; however he concedes that he may not see out the entirety of his deal.

"It is not specially important that I have extended my contract, and it does not mean a lot. The proof of that is the fact that the majority of players who move on are under contract," the France international explained.

"The main thing for me is to perform well. The rest is down to fate. But I'm not going to leave Arsenal this summer - I'm thinking above all about having a good season.

"The fact that Arsenal have so many French players has contributed to my successful first season with them.

Compatriots

"I am lucky that nobody at the club makes any distinction between the French players, the English ones and the other nationalities.

"I know that this is not the case at other clubs. Sometimes there is a sort of boycott in existence against the foreigners.

"It is precisely this that makes me tell myself I have made the right choice in signing for Arsenal."

Tiada ulasan: