Selasa, 8 Julai 2008

Ramsey plans Prem bow

Aaron Ramsey has already set his sights on making his Arsenal debut against West Brom on 16th August.

The teenager is currently Arsene Wenger's only summer recruit to a squad which ended the 2007/08 campaign empty-handed.

However, with more new faces expected to arrive before the new season gets under way the former Cardiff midfielder knows that he will have his work cut out if he is to make an impression in the Gunners first-team.

The 17-year-old will report for pre-season training on Friday, along with those members of the squad who did not feature at Euro 2008 or are currently injured.

With an opportunity to make a good first impression, plus plenty of friendly fixtures approaching in the next few weeks, Ramsey sees no reason why he should not be in contention once the top flight action begins again next month.

Opportunity

"Obviously the plan for me is to have a good pre-season and try my hardest to get up to the fitness levels the Premiership requires," said Ramsey in the South Wales Echo.

"I will try my best to get in the starting line-up at the beginning of the season against West Brom.

"I am joining one of the biggest clubs in the world, one which always gives young players an opportunity at the highest level.

"I am going to work my hardest to be part of future successes there."

Ramsey was being chased by a number of Premier League clubs at the time of his move to Arsenal, with childhood heroes Manchester United among those involved in the race for his signature.

Instinct

However, the Wales U21 international spurned the opportunity to join up with Sir Alex Ferguson's men in favour of joining a side renowned for their development of young talent.

"I supported Manchester United as a youngster but once I had spoken to Arsene Wenger, the way he described the Arsenal set-up and their plans for the future impressed me," added the youngster.

"I just had a gut instinct that the right move for me would be joining Arsenal. It was my decision.

"I thought about where the best place would be for me to develop as a player, and that was Arsenal.

"I don't think too many people wouldn't look forward to coming under the guidance of Arsene Wenger and playing next to someone like Cesc Fabregas.

"Arsene is a great manager and Cesc can make something happen out of nothing on the pitch."

Tiada ulasan: