Khamis, 13 Mac 2008

Wenger - I'll keep faith with squad in summer

Arsène Wenger will stick with his usual cautious spending pattern over the summer.

The Arsenal manager has slowly built up his current squad in recent seasons and, this term, he has been rewarded with a sustained title chase. The Frenchman has funds available to buy when the transfer window opens once more at the end of the current campaign but he will only spend within budget and, as ever, his priority is continuity.

"I will keep faith [with them] because we have worked hard for what we have now," said Wenger speaking before the weekend.

"I have said many times, the real target of a manager is to find the balance with what comes in and what goes out and build a team with these restrictions. It is to do well with the funds available.

"We have money because we made money and we made money because we made the right decisions. I believe a football team is not about buying and selling. It is about building, patience, working together and going through a growing process.

"Also it is enjoyable now to see the team coming slowly up and see how well they can do."

That said, Wenger is prepared to spend big but, he argues, his decision to invest in youngsters a few years ago means that, so far, he has not had to.

"I would have to be completely convinced that it is right and not stupid for the future of the Club," he said.

"But I am in a position where I anticipated the years to come and I prepared for it. [So] I have never been in a situation where I needed to take a big gamble like that."

Tiada ulasan: